The Trustees of The Rotary Foundation have identified six areas of focus for the new grant model. These areas reflect critical humanitarian issues and needs that Rotarians are addressing worldwide. They will align Rotary with other international development efforts and will strategically further the Foundation’s mission.
Statements of purpose and goals
Each of the six areas of focus begins with a statement of purpose, followed by a list of specific goals. The Rotary Foundation will use the goals to establish:
- Projects and activities for packaged global grants
- Possible strategic partners for packaged global grants
- Evaluation criteria for club- and district-developed global grants
- A system for measuring outcome for all global grants
Download guidelines for developing eligible Future Vision pilot projects and activities within the areas of focus.
Areas of focus
Peace and conflict prevention/resolution
The Foundation enables Rotarians to promote the practice of peace and conflict prevention/ resolution by:
- Training leaders, including potential youth leaders, to prevent and mediate conflict
- Supporting peace-building in communities and regions affected by conflict
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to peace and conflict prevention/resolution
The Foundation enables Rotarians to prevent disease and promote health by:
- Improving the capacity of local health care professionals
- Promoting disease prevention programs, with the goal of limiting the spread of communicable diseases and reducing the incidences of and complications from non-communicable diseases
- Enhancing the health infrastructure of local communities
- Educating and mobilizing communities to help prevent the spread of major diseases
- Preventing physical disability resulting from disease or injury
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to disease prevention and treatment
The Foundation enables Rotarians to ensure that people have sustainable access to water and sanitation by:
- Providing equitable community access to safe water, improved sanitation, and hygiene
- Strengthening the ability of communities to develop, fund and maintain sustainable water and sanitation systems
- Supporting programs that enhance communities’ awareness of the benefits of safe water, sanitation and hygiene
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to water and sanitation
The Foundation enables Rotarians to improve the health of mothers and their children by:
- Reducing the mortality and morbidity rate for children under the age of five
- Reducing the maternal mortality and morbidity rate
- Improving access to essential medical services, trained community health leaders, and health care providers for mothers and their children
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to maternal and child health
The Foundation enables Rotarians to ensure that all people have sustainable access to basic education and literacy by:
- Involving the community to support programs that strengthen the capacity of communities to provide basic education and literacy to all
- Increasing adult literacy in communities
- Working to reduce gender disparity in education
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to basic education and literacy
The Foundation enables Rotarians to invest in people by creating sustainable, measurable, and long -term economic improvements in their communities and livelihoods by:
- Building the capacity of entrepreneurs, community leaders, local organizations, and community networks to support economic development in impoverished communities
- Developing opportunities for productive work
- Reducing poverty in underserved communities
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to economic and community development
Foundation Goals for 2013-14
1. Eradicate polio and make our dream of a polio-free world real.
2. Successfully launch our new grants model, putting our transformative Future Vision Plan into practice worldwide.
3. Engage in innovative projects and creative partnerships that help build a more just and peaceful world.
4. Build ownership and pride in our Foundation by supporting the Annual Fund, the Permanent Fund, and the PolioPlus Fund.